Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oh You Worthless People, You

You know what really chaps my hide? Self-righteous people, wallowing in their own clueless shit.

Example: Just because I'm sitting in the same room as you, doesn't mean I want to talk to you or hear about your day. And I definitely don't want to hear you bitch about your food stamps. Get a second fucking job like I did you waste of flesh.


Waste of flesh?? Really?? That's a bit harsh. In case you didn't notice, there's a recession depression going on. You were able to find a second job? Great, give me one of yours and then we'll both have one.

Example: Standing behind the person in the grocery store as they text on their smart phone while paying for their food with TANF. I bet I could afford one of those phones too, if I were on food stamps!

You obviously have no idea what it takes to qualify for food stamps, or the stories behind those of us on them. Smart phones are cheap to free now, and the plan prices are coming down too. If we don't use a land line, we can sometimes afford the plan on a cell phone. Are we wearing nice clothes? We probably already owned them before the damn recession hit. Or maybe, just maybe, we have a relative or friend who loves us enough to give us some very nice hand-me-downs so we can look decent while looking for that non-existent job out there (because the jack-wipe in the first post took two jobs instead of one...leaving me jobless).

And don't assume for one second that just because we are on TANF, that we are lazy, shiftless, no-good abusers of the system who use drugs and sleep till noon. Where the hell did that idea ever start?

You know what I think? I think you're jealous. You're pissed cuz we were smart enough to ask for help when we needed it. Do you think we like being on food stamps and medicaid? No, we don't. But right now, in this economy, it's saving our asses.

And don't even start with  me about Obama. He is not the reason we are in this pickle. This started on Bush's watch and it damn near put the country out of business. That said, this is not a political debate blog. If you post anything in the way of inflammatory anything, I will block your ass. Thank you.

Now, back to the question at hand:

The person in front of me is buying nothing but junk food, and paying for it with food stamps! My tax dollars should only be used to pay for healthy food...UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Shut. Up. Seriously. You've never had to go through the line to buy a cake and goodies for your kid's birthday party? You've never had a "pizza night" at your house where it was pizza, wings and soda? Never?? Then shut the fuck up. We cannot buy "hot" or prepared foods (though the battle line has apparently been drawn in Oklahoma. I won't go into the pros and cons here, but generally speaking, there should be a few exceptions to the hot food rule. Fast food? Bad idea, IMHO), and if we budget our allotment carefully, we can afford the occasional "junk food" treat. Do some people buy only pre-packaged foods? Sure they do. Is that my problem? Not in the least. They either won't have enough TANF to get through the month, or they don't know how to cook, or whatever. It's none of  my concern. It's none of yours either. I can usually tell who is a regular buyer of the "bad" stuff based on body girth, but that has nothing to do with me. At least they aren't starving to death.


Judge not, lest ye be judged
Matthew 7:1

Have you ever had to worry about where you were going to get the money to feed your children? I mean really, really worry? Have you spent months on end living on rice, potatoes and pancake mix (the kind that mixes with water... forget that "add eggs and milk" shit) because that was all you could afford?

Face it, America is now a Food Stamp Nation. 46 million Americans are on food stamps. That's roughly 1 in 6 or 7 people. Chances are, you have a friend or loved one on food stamps. Why are we on food stamps? Because we would starve; our children would starve, if we didn't utilize this god-send. Will the majority of us stay on them forever? No. As soon as the economy grinds back into gear, and we can afford it, we will no longer qualify, and the food stamps will stop. I will rejoice in the day I can afford to purchase my own food again.

Until then, if you don't qualify because you make too much money, rejoice that you have a fucking job. We work, yes. But a second job? There aren't any out there. Trust me, we're looking.

I'm just so sick and tired of this economy. I'm sick and tired of people's ignorance, but I'm especially sick and tired of the venom they spew forth in that ignorance, perpetuating the stigma behind "government subsidy." I'm standing here today. I'm standing without shame. We have not abused the system. We will not abuse the system. We are not a minority in that mindset. Those of you that are looking down your noses at us, stop it. You'll get a crick in your neck. Try turning your eyes skyward instead (you won't even have to adjust the angle of your neck) and asking the God you believe in to send a little help our way, then maybe take some action and send a little help our way.

Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor 
will himself call out and not be answered. 
Proverbs 21:13




1 comment:

Dawn Marshall said...

Amen! I so loved it when I was checking out at the grocery store, paying with my WIC vouchers and the person behind me stood there sighing and huffing and puffing. NOT. Yes lady, I sure do love having to buy food with WIC vouchers, isn't it what everyone wants to have to do? Because the cheese, milk, peanut butter and Kix cereal I'm getting with these vouchers really feeds my whole family. Sure does. NOT. And I sure love telling my kids this is what you have to eat, even if you don't like it because we can't afford anything else. NOT. And I sure love sitting in the WIC office for HOURS with screaming babies to get vouchers for $100 worth of food a month, it's what I LOVE to do with my time. NOT. Really, people are so ignorant and have NO compassion or empathy. They assume the worst in people and until something happens to them to where they need to use public assistance they just won't get it or give a damn. And yes there are people who abuse the system, but it shouldn't be assumed we all do.